Sunday, March 17, 2013

Men's Jewellery


Made my first necklace for a man today and I'm quite proud of it! It was a special order, and my customer was very happy with how it turned out.

My instructions were to:

- replace the broken cord that originally came with Thor's hammer
- take inspiration from a rosary

So yes, I do make men's jewellery, on special order. :)






I feel like this will be an interesting year for making jewellery. I admit I went through a bit of a lull last month, and found myself drained of motivation and ideas.

But then I took a long walk down Queen St in Toronto (FULL of bead, fabric, and trim stores) and just immersed myself in new ideas, images, and textures. It was really inspiring. I don't treat jewellery production lulls negatively. When it happens, I truly feel that it is my mind's way of telling me to try something new and fresh. So I take a little break, and sooner than later, new ideas come.

So, without further ado, my jewellery goals for this year:

- use more unique and unusual materials (feathers, sequins, wood, fabric, pressed flowers)
- make more "metal-free" jewellery for those with allergies
- incorporate different art techniques and styles (mosaic, acrylic painting)
- make my jewellery more customizable than ever (making my own components and bezels)
- experiment more! (these means making a few mistakes and dud pieces...)

No comments:

Post a Comment