Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Crystal Clay Tips and Tricks


So, once in a while (or often), you try to use epoxy or crystal clay and it doesn't quite go how you plan it! Here's a list of problems I've encountered while using epoxy and crystal clay and how I solved them. Hopefully you find this helpful.

This will be a page that I add stuff to occasionally as situations come up. Also, feel welcome to pose questions in the comments, I will do my best to answer them!

 
Problem:
mixing clay, setting up your crystals... and realizing that you have no beeswax applicator.


Basically I was about to finish an order for a customer... only I'd just finished moving to my new apartment and had forgotten ALL my beeswax applicators for crystal clay. The real kicker of it was, I'd already mixed my clay! As you know, once you mix the two parts of crystal clay together, it dries in 1 - 2 hours and there's no going back. I had to think fast.

Solution:
Take a Q-tip and wrap tape around the end (sticky-side out, of course)

the best way to do this is to put the sticky side on the end, and then put a second piece of tape,
sticky-side in, around the stick to secure the tape on the end.


As you can see, it works almost just as well as a beeswax applicator. Emphasis on 'almost', but I completed my order with no problems.

Just remember to press your crystals in securely with something hard. I used the end of a paintbrush:












2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I am amazed with all the creative forms of crystal clay and decided to start playing with it. I have a real emerald that fall of a silver ring and have a nice pattern in my mind for a project. My question is: can I really use a precious stone with crystal clay? Is it going to be OK (for the emerald I mean)? Could I at a later point get it out of the clay and use it in another piece of jewelry? Can I remove safely the cured clay from my emerald?
    Thank you in advance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Marilena!

      The epoxy clay is permanent once it dries. If you use a precious stone with crystal clay it will be in there forever. You can sand or drill it off but the stone might be damaged.

      Hope that helped! Please let me know if there are any other questions :)

      Delete